Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Oh crepe!

I know I haven't been posting much, but I ran into a slew of social engagements that took over my cooking time. Alas, it happens.

This last weekend I scooted on down to the local market, they hold one every Sunday. There you can find all sorts of good things. Now these prices might seem a little higher to you, but you have to take some things into account. The farmers are the ones sitting there, selling their goods. They have to pay for those stalls, and transport. It's nice to be able to find things you would never find in the store. You can buy local fresh pastured meat, fresh baked breads, local in-season produce, sometimes plants, cheeses, and there's a creamery that comes too. This last week I noticed a mushroom hunter selling porcini mushrooms. Wild mushrooms... delicious. I bought just a few and a leek. I felt like Julia Child as I slow cooked the mushrooms and leek and then added my half and half to make a delicious crepe dinner. I also procured some chevre at the market and put that into the crepes as well. The result was two types of crepes, one filled with cheese and the other filled with a great mushroom sauce.

I'm sure you can make crepes, there's recipes out there if you look. You just need to decide which one is for you. I cannot tell you which one to use, or give you tips and tricks or tell you blah, blah, blah. I will tell you that I make my crepes in a cast iron pan. The joy of cast iron, it's wonderful stuff, but you must NEVER EVER put soap on it. Use salt to clean it, even when you've made a sauce in it. If you use soap you will pull off the layer of built up fats and then your food will stick to your cast iron pan. Put salt into the pan, get a paper towel, or rag and put your pan over medium high heat. Let it heat up and rub the salt into the pan and it'll get gross and brown. Wipe out the salt and your pan is now clean. This is the approved method of keeping your pan nice. No water baths. No soap. No air drying.


Ingredients:

8 crepes
1/3 lb fresh wild porcini mushrooms
1 small leek
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 C. non-homogonized organic half and half
1 Tbs. flour
1/2 Tbs butter
1 pinch nutmeg
salt and pepper
2 oz. organic chevre

Method:

Put the butter, diced mushrooms, thinly sliced leek and garlic in a sauce pan over low heat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 20 min. Do not let the vegetables brown. Add the flour to the pan and stir cooking for about 5 minutes. Heat the half and half and slowly add to the sauce. Check for seasoning, adding the nutmeg and some salt and pepper.

Divide the chevre into four portions and crumble. In four crepes put a spoon of the sauce on one half of the circle. Fold over the other half and then fold in half again. Repeat this with the chevre and plate. Put a little of the mushroom sauce on the mushroom crepes.

No comments:

Post a Comment